NES Emulator

A couple of years back I wrote a NES Emulator and got it to work pretty well, although definitely not up to the standard of established emulators such as Nestopia or FCE Ultra. It was a very enlightening experience and most of all, fun. I planned to optimise the emulator and add support for various mappers and controllers, but in the third week, or so, of development, I lost interest. The emulator can play a modest number of games including Ghosts and Goblins, Gradius, Castlevania I and Mario.

Ye olde platform games

I have decided to upload some screenshots of a game I wrote for the Amiga, some thirteen years ago. The game is called Blaze and the main inspiration behind it was Sonic the Hedgehog, an awesome platform game by Sega. Blaze was programmed entirely in 68000 assembly language using Hisoft’s Devpac assembler and the graphics drawn using Deluxe Paint II. Unfortunately no sound effects ever made it into the game. Hopefully, I will make the ADF available for download pretty soon. I also plan to include some screen shots of Androboy, another platform game in the Sonic vein, this time written for the IBM PC. My friend Colin wrote Androboy a year or so after Blaze.

[Update] Alright, here’s a download link for Blaze. Note that you need a Commodore Amiga or an Amiga Emulator to run the game.

In the coming days, I might be discussing some of the technical aspects of the game – it will be fun trying to recall what went in there after all this time.

[Update] Colin has set up a space and uploaded some screen shots from Androboy.

 

Multiplayer Asteroids 3D

Set up an album with a couple of screen shots from a beefed up version of Asteroids we (we as in two friends of mine, Colin and Gordon, and myself) wrote a couple of years ago. The original Asteroids was translated into the third dimension, with first and third person views, power-ups, network play and AI-driven opponents (bots).

[Update] Added more screenshots and a download link here, courtesy of Colin.

A simple ray-tracer

I’ve set up an album with some output pictures generated by a ray-tracer I wrote for a university project. No big deal, of course – my only regret is accidentally deleting the scene files when backing up the project.

The ray-tracer takes all parameter input from a configuration file and is a bit awkward to use; if I get around polishing it, I might as well put a download link in this space, hopefully with all source code included.