Month: July 2008

Final touches

More than two months have gone by since I’ve last updated the Vistas progress log, and during this time, besides sitting for my exams (and passing all of them, thank God), I’ve started closing the first iteration of this project. I am pretty happy with the outcome, and more so considering the constraints within which research, design and development took place.

Since the last update, I’ve created a runtime typing system for better scene management and extension, modified the high level rendering pipeline, and re-written the effect system for the umpteen time. Although the former effect system was good, it was way too complex. The new version is simpler, but no less powerful.

I have also added an application framework for effortlessly setting up Vistas-based applications; now I’m working with Colin and Gordon to prepare some sort of sandbox within which we can have a unified graphics-physics-scripting system we can meddle with quickly and easily. The reason we’re working on a sandbox at this stage is simply that we need a showcase that is hassle free to set up.

Anyway, I’ll try to post in somewhat more detail next time. Before I leave I think credit is due to Mr. Paul Bourke for the cube map used in the screen shots above. As to what regards the Audi model, I don’t know who the author is – Ben, my brother, sent it to me, but he said he didn’t do it… oh, and thanks to Colin for UV mapping the model; it would have taken me ages to do.

Advertisements